"Pre-production" pieces - some of these were pictured in the original catalog. My theory is these were the first small batch of figures produced before Panton became involved. They all came in the boxes with the name & number (sometimes incorrect!) stamped on the side.
Some of the changes seem to have been made to prevent obvious breakable areas. Other changes (Wodema, Rueggan) were likely made to lower the price point. It is unclear why they changed the colors on some pieces.
- 1011 Lg. Graffyn on Grunch Green - Graffyn changed to blue
- 1012 Sm. Graffyn on Grunch Green - Graffyn changed to purple (Not pictured in original flyer)
- 1021 Med. Moplos - hands are rotated inward. Two dots on belt in back.
- 1031 Mos - has a double ring around his tail. Different fur pattern on stomach.
- 1042 Sm. Groc - I believe this piece was just never made for unknown reasons after the pre-production batch. Dave gave multiple reasons over the years from "looked too similar to the other", "problems with breakages" and "wasn't a good seller". None of these explanations make any real sense if you think about it - there were other pieces with MAJOR breakage issues (1091 etc). Looking to similar - there were many, many other pieces where the pieces looked identical to the other sizes. "Wasn't a good seller" is just baloney - ALL the initial pieces were great sellers. There wouldn't have been enough time elapsed to make that determination anyway. Basically - your guess is as good as mine.
- 1051 Grackene w/2 hair ties + legs, thicker different hair
- 1061 Spyke w/weird toes - I have never seen this for sale, the version on flyer may be a prototype.
- 1091 Sm. N'Borg with 3 prong staff - prongs were prone to break
- 1092 Lg. N'Borg original staff - no idea why they changed it, maybe they didn't like the look (?)
- 1103 XL Stoope - Discontinued after pre-production because of the neck breaking and made it shorter/thicker.
- 1201 Lg. Myzer - Blue, changed to brown
- 1301 Lg. Wodema - 2 krystals instead of apple.
- 1302 Sm. Wodema - 2 krystals instead of apple.
- 1501 Trumph - skinnier/wider
- 1601 Med. Turfen - different paint and tiny krystal in hat.
- 1602 Sm. Turfen - thumbs point outward.
- 1703 Sm. Rueggan - 2 krystals instead of book. Came in both white and gray beards. Excess stock for these (hundreds) were sold later at shows as event-only pieces. They did not have felt.
- 3001 Lg. Krak N'Borg - silver paint, solid piece (base is NOT hollowed out). I am guessing shipping cost on this would hvae been pretty ridiculous.